Competition entry process and dates
The 2020 SA homebrewing competition will be judged on September 5 & 6. Entries will close a week before on August 28 with winners presentation on Sunday 13 September.
If you’ve never entered SABSOSA or a home brewing competition before, don’t worry, it’s easy. We have special entry page where you need to create an account. You can enter any beer you’ve brewed yourself at home. All grain, part extract, kit and kilo.
You don’t need to add any extra notes to your entry unless the portal asks you or you used a special ingredient or technique that you want to make the judges aware of. Then pay the entries fees via PayPal or credit card (credit card link is at the bottom of the PayPal page). We do not accept cash.
Your account allows you to log back into any time to make changes, add extra entries and print the special labels that include your entry number, style and special notes linked to a barcode. They don’t include your name. You can come back to edit and print more labels at any time.
We accept 750ml long-neck or brown plastic PET ‘home brew’ bottles. Champagne bottles and 375ml or similar stubby-sized bottles will not be accepted. Cans are also not accepted.
One bottle is all we need but it is worth keeping a backup bottle at home (and refrain from drinking it). We might contact you if we have an issue and need a replacement.
Pay the entry fee (+card/ PayPal fees – no cash) and print labels well in advance of competition close on August 30 or you will be locked out of the portal. Attach your printed labels to your bottle with rubber bands only then drop your bottles off at a number of our supporters (listed below) who keep them cold for us until we collect them.
After judging the results are collated, the winners are announced. Judging isn’t a public event.
All entrants receive the judges’ feedback sheets and scores via their entry portal where they can read the comments. If your beer placed first, second or third, you’ll be contacted by us about attending the awards presentation.
Placing in a category also entitles you to enter your beer in the Australian Amateur Brewing Championship judged in late October in Sydney.
If you are interested in being a judge, a steward or just generally helping the competition then please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information, or simply create an account on the entry portal here and indicate your availability.
Competition entry form
The entry portal is open now. All entrants, past and new, must create a new account. Click here to go to the entry portal.
Entry drop off points
Beerbelly Brewing Equipment – 3/95 Research Rd, Pooraka SA 5095, ph (08) 7230 0258
Brewmaker Home Brewing – 560 North East Rd, Holden Hill, ph (08) 8369 3649
Rehn Bier Cellar Door – 23 Magnolia St, Tanunda, South Australia.
Left Barrel Brewing Cellar Door – 2E / 37 Onkaparinga Valley Road, Balhannah SA 5242.
You can send your bottles to Beerbelly Brewing Equipment – 3/95 Research Rd, Pooraka SA 5095, ph (08) 7230 0258. Please make sure your bottles are secured and in a bottle safe package. The must be received by COB, Friday 30 August. SABSOSA is not responsible for lost mail or bottles not received.
Conditions of entry
SABSOSA is open to all interested amateur brewers who are residents of South Australia or the Northern Territory.
- All entries must be made using private equipment by amateur brewers (i.e., no use of commercial facilities or brew on-premises operations etc.).
- Maximum of two entries per category – within this limit only one entry per style.
- Fix one entry label per clean bottle with rubber bands. No names required.
- Bottles should be larger than 500ml, 700-800ml are preferred. No 330ml stubbies or champagne bottles.
- The fee of $5.00 (+fees) per entry must be paid by PayPal, credit card or EFT. Cash will not be accepted.
- Beer Judging Guidelines can be found on either sabsosa.com.au or aabc.org.au
- The competition organisers are not responsible for incorrectly categorised entries, mailed entries that are not received by the entry deadline or that arrived damaged, or for the loss or damage to any entry, entry form, or fee.
- Entrants are bound by the competition rules. The judges’ and Competition Director’s decision is final no dispute will be entered into.
- Judges will evaluate and score each entry. The average of the scores will rank each entry in its category.
- By entering the competition, entrants accept the competition rules, conditions of entry and categories and styles and are bound by these conditions.
- Participants must declare any conflict of interest before taking part in the administration or judging of a competition.
Please contact SABSOSA at email@example.com with any questions.